Samsung was under tremendous pressure to find what went wrong with the Galaxy Note 7. Being one of the most trusted brands in the world, the South Korean conglomerate did owe answers to its customers who have helped the company maintain its lead over its rivals in the worldwide smartphone market.
Recalling a product is never easy. But after reports of multiple explosions and fires, Samsung had to recall – its largest ever – the Galaxy Note 7 twice and eventually ceased production. Now, after almost four months of investigation, Samsung says it has finally nailed down the root cause of the fiasco.
In a report released on Jan. 23, Samsung said two battery suppliers for the Galaxy Note 7 had their own construction issues that led to the unprecedented disaster in the company’s product lineup. Although Samsung didn’t mention the names of the battery manufacturing partners in the report, these suppliers are likely to be Samsung SDI, a sister company in Samsung Group, and Amperex Technology Ltd (ATL).
In a comprehensive infographic, Samsung described what was discovered after it investigated the issue:
Going forward, Samsung has developed strict quality assurance protocols across its entire development process, which, the company said, is to “renew its commitment to safety.”
As part of these protocols, Samsung has formed a battery advisory group of external advisers including academic and research experts. It has also implemented a multi-layer safety measures procedure at the product planning phase, and a new 8-point battery safety system to address safety from the component level to the assembly and shipment of devices.
How will it affect Samsung and the entire smartphone industry?
The bursting Galaxy Note 7 and its massive recall thereafter gave many a shock of their lifetime. Now that Samsung investigated and found what caused the anomaly, it is clear that the probe’s findings will have a long-term impact on Samsung’s future offerings as well as the overall smartphone industry.
It’s a no-brainer that Samsung has learned from its mistake and will significantly improve the company’s processes. It took Samsung almost 120 days to inspect each and every aspect of its process between product design and delivery. It is very likely that the probe unearthed loopholes in Samsung’s smartphone business that the company need to fix at the earliest.
Considering that Samsung has taken a more serious approach towards safety measures, the company’s customers are bound to get better smartphones in the future. With software having fewer bugs and with much durable hardware, Samsung’s upcoming smartphones should be the most highly tested ones in the company’s history.
However, the attempts to enhance product safety could also lead to delayed launch of Samsung’s new products. The company itself indicated earlier this week that the launch of its next flagship Galaxy S smartphone, very likely to be named the Galaxy S8, could be postponed as Samsung pledged to improve safety measures for its next-generation products.
Samsung’s moves to improve on its product safety measures will also influence other players to embark on similar trails and help improve safety standards of the overall industry. However, component manufactures, especially battery makers, will have some tough time ahead as they will be under pressure to follow new safety guidelines while performing deeper inspections at faster rates.